Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Back to the Classroom!

 After 13 years as an education consultant, (seven at TIE traveling all over South Dakota and Wyoming and six working for Discovery Education traveling North America), I decided it was time to stop all the travel and spend some time back in the classroom. I figured it was time to walk the walk I have been working with teachers on for years.

While there were job openings in Rapid City, I applied at a very small school an hour and 20 minutes away from my house. Why? Several reasons, actually! 1. A small, country school tends to be more flexible. I have more input in the curriculum, I write my own curriculum map, and I test whenever I want. This isn't to say that larger schools with more requirements are bad, but I am at the point in life where I crave flexibility. 2. This school is just off the Pine Ridge Reservation. Many of the students are from the reservation and I know going in that many of them are behind grade level. That means I have the possibility of making a difference. 3. I know and LOVE the principal and CEO. Having a supportive admin is key to enjoying your job!

They had an opening for a middle school social studies and science teacher when I applied. I asked if there was any wiggle room on that. I was certified to teach social studies, English, and lots of computer/business classes, but not science. By the time our little chat was over, I had agreed to take the Praxis for science. Until I get that taken, I am working under the supervision of one of my colleagues who is certified in science. I am still scratching my head as to why I agreed to that, but I am totally loving teaching science right now! I hope to test next month. So I teach 6th, 7th, and 8th grade science, 6th and 7th grade social studies, and a period of Senior Experience (followed by Personal Finance second semester.) Obviously, the three periods of science are all new preps for me, as is the Senior Experience. Even though I have taught social studies before, South Dakota has brand new standards. They are not officially in effect yet, but it seemed silly to plan lessons using the old standards and then turning around and planning new ones later. So along with six new preps and studying for my test, I agreed to be the Student Council adviser.

With all of that said, I LOVE being back in school!!! We finished the ninth day of school today. I forgot how students get after a three-day weekend. My sweet sixth graders were super squirrelly today. To make matters worse, today was the first of three days of testing. Tonight, I am very tired....and feel very blessed.

All the trainings I have done have been really helpful.  I try to do as many hands-on activities as possible. I am connecting everything to THEIR real world. I refuse to dumb down the curriculum, so I am scaffolding like a crazy woman and I have made it clear that this is the level they need to be at to be successful. We are doing a lot of accelerated learning instead of remedial interventions. We use a lot of technology. We are writing weekly emails to their parents/guardians about how school is going and taking responsibility if/why they are behind in any assignments. There is so much more I want to do with these kiddos, but I am also trying to give myself a little grace until I really get settled in.

Many of my friends have teased me both about starting a new job at 63 and for driving so far each way. I just don't feel ready to retire. I still feel like I have something to offer. I hope I will recognize WHEN I am ready to hang up my teacher toolbag. I think the drive is absolutely worth it to be able to teach in such a great school! It's a high-needs school, but I adore most of the students. There are a couple that I am going to have to work a little harder to bond with! But these are good kids who need a little extra love and nurturing. What more could I ask for for the final years of my career? 

Off to plan lessons and grade assignments...smiling the whole time!

No comments: